Bank South Pacific advises that hoax emails are again in circulation. Although they may appear genuine, they are fraudulent and have not been sent by BSP.
Do not click on any links contained in these emails and ignore their instructions.
BSP does not send unsolicited emails informing you that your account will have limited access nor does it send emails requesting you to disclose confidential banking information.
Should you receive an email you believe to be a hoax, please email it as an attachment (if possible) to firstname.lastname@example.org for verification.
Again: If you suspect you have received a hoax email:
- Do not click on any links within unsolicited, hoax emails
- Send the email to email@example.com for verification
- Delete the email immediately from your Inbox and Deleted Items folder
- If you clicked on a link in the email, perform a full security scan of your computer
Be aware of Phishing
There are fraudulent emails targeting BSP customers that claim to be from BSP. These are from fraudsters trying to steal customer information through this email which contains links that can lead to a website that appears to be the BSP Internet Banking Website but it is actually a fake site designed to collect banking credentials. This act is termed as Phishing.
At this point in time the emails that are being received have the subject "Incoming Payment" but there may be others of which we are not yet aware.
Please note that if you receive such emails do the following:
- Forward the email to Hoax@bsp.com.pg
- Never to click on the link
- Look carefully at the url address to pick up any characters that do not match correctly our genuine website: www.bsp.com.pg
- Advise the customer to always enter the BSP Internet website in the browser address bar themselves or to only use the link on www.BSP.com.pg
- Always be careful of emails that do not address you by name as it is possibly a fraudulent email
- Advise the customer to delete email from inbox/delete folders
BSP will never send such emails requesting for such information from our customers.
The steps listed above are standard security steps of financial organisations around the world disseminated to their customers.
Contact BSP Customer Service Centre 24/7 on 320 1212 if you require further information or assistance